My name is Jessica McLeod-Yu and I am a Story Teller and 2D animator from Sydney, Australia. I am a chill and adventurous person who loves to draw and create. I am especially passionate about telling stories that uplift people. My hobbies include traveling and dancing. I’m known for my blue and pink hair and punk-rock fashion.
Online, I go by the name Rocket-Child, or rocket1111child and can be found sharing my art and inspiration of various social media sites, such as: DeviantArt, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
I graduated from the University of Newcastle with a Diploma of Languages (2015) , and a Bachelor of Fine Arts (2016). I am currently doing my Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours), where I am writing a thesis on how the medium of animation can be used to portray internal states. I am also animating a shot film called “Awake”, which is about a kid’s emotional journey going through and over coming depression.
I call myself a story teller, because I am skilled in a variety of disciplines. I animate, storyboard, script write, and illustrate. I have also written and self-published my own fantasy novel called “The Wish Bringer”. Please refer to the Portfolio tab of this website to see my pervious work and history.
Freelance Artist, 2008 – Present
- Wedding Table Numbers, 2018
- “Conspirituality” animated segments for short film, 2018 – Current
- “Morning Morning” animated music video, 4 minutes, 2017
- Amputee Awareness Animation, 30 seconds, 2017
- 21st Birthday portrait, 2017
- Banner Design – Stress less week, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2016
- Coffee Cup Design – Pride Week, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2016
- Illustrations, Yak Magazine, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2016
- NUBUG animation – University of Newcastle, Australia, 2016
- Adventures of Norge – Episode 2, University of New South Wales, Australia, 2016
- Illustrations, Opus Magazine, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2015
- Illustration, political magazine Politics Made Public, UK
- Adventures of Norge – Episode 1, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Animated run cycle, Lazorewka Studio, Russia
- Self published fantasy novel: The Wish Bringer,
- “Conditions of Being Human”, Watt Space Gallery, University of Newcastle, 2016
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) Grad Show, Watt Space Gallery, University of Newcastle,2016
- Finalist – Brenda Clouten Memorial Traveling Scholarship, Maitland Regional Art Gallery, 2016
- Prize Winner – “Do I know you?” Student Art Prize, Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, 2016
- 2nd place, media division – Reslife Artshow, The University Gallery, University of Newcastle, 2016
- Collaboration – Moon Animate Make-up Episode 2, 2016
- 2nd place – ICC Artshow, The University Gallery, University of Newcastle, 2015
- Artist in Residence, Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, 2013
- Sketchbooks of Rome, Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, 2013
- A force of habit, Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, 2013
- Kindred, Watt Space Gallery, Newcastle, 2012
- Sydney Royal Easter Show, 2007 – 2010
- Stall holder – Book Expo Australia, 2014
- Stall holder – Smash; Sydney Manga and Anime Show, 2014
- “The Wish Bringer” Book opening, 2014
- Stall holder – Sydney Animania Festival, 2008 – 2010
I am also the Assistant Director at the Melbourne International Animation Festival (MIAF). My role is mostly administrative, which involves marketing via social media, writing up schedules and run sheets for the conference and festival, and liaising with the guests attending the festivals, and more. As a representative of MIAF, I also attended the China International Cartoon and Animation Festival in Hang Zhou, China, where I presented a speech at the Hang Zhou Summit about “Balancing The Social & Economic Benefits While Running A Festival” in April, and in May I was invited to the Australian International Animation Festival as a guest speaker to speak on the panel about animation in Australia.
University of Newcastle, Student Highlight
Interview on 3CR about the Melbourne International Animation Festival 2017
Interview with Sheshot TV about women animators – link
http://Chinese International Cartoon & Animation Festival – Speaker